Monday, October 12, 2009
Healthy Chicken Pot Pie
Here’s another guest blog from one of my other cubemates, Katie
My name is Katie. I am a busy working mom of a very busy toddler and pregnant with #2 currently, so cooking needs to be something I can make for my family that is quick and healthy and still tastes great! Most of my dishes I substitute to make a “lighter” version…shhh…don’t tell my husband! I have been able to make great meals and still keep the flavor with not as much of the fat. Enjoy!!!
1 ½ cup cubed chicken breast
1 2/3 cup frozen mixed veggies thawed (carrots, corn, green beans, peas)
1 ½ cans (10 ¾ oz) Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
1 ¼ cup Healthy Heart Bisquick
½ cup milk (skim or 1% to lower fat) **give or take a splash for consistency**
Nature’s Seasons Seasoning Salt, to taste
1. PreHeat Oven to 400°F
2. Cut raw chicken breast into small cubes- enough to fill a measuring cup to 1 ½ cups of chicken
3. In a frying pan on medium heat, use a tsp of olive oil and sauté the chicken with season salt until cooked thoroughly. Then set aside.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together Bisquick, milk, and egg to create the crust.
Once oven is ready, take a small amount of the Bisquick and line the bottom of the pie pan with batter.
5. Bake for 5 minutes and then remove from the oven.
6. Meanwhile, in a larger mixing bowl, combine thawed veggies, cooked chicken cubes, and cream of chicken soup. Mix until all ingredients are well coated in the soup.
7. Pour contents of the large mixing bowl into the pie pan on top of the base you already created.
8. Take remaining Bisquick batter and pour over the top of the chicken and veggie mixture.
9. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.