Monday, July 19, 2010

Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken



Since being on maternity leave, I have had a hard time getting a healthy lunch in the afternoons. I don't want to cook something because it takes way too long. I also don't want to have a lean cuisine or other processed meal because they are usually full of sodium and aren't very tasty. I went to Park Avenue in Winter Park last week on a shopping trip and had a bit of my little Sister's lunch at a restaurant called The Briar Patch. She had a salad with spinach, blue cheese, bacon, and grilled chicken with a balsamic vinaigrette. I liked it so much that I decided to create my own recipe with stuff that I like.
My salad has the spinach and a very small amount of bacon, feta cheese, Apple, grilled marinated chicken, and my favorite vinaigrette recipe. I plan on experimenting with the ingredients in the future, maybe using blue cheese or adding walnuts or almonds. Either way, it came out great! I will definitely be making this again.



Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken

1 Marinated chicken breast, grilled
1/2 Apple, sliced into small pieces
2 cups fresh spinach
2 tablespoons feta or blue cheese (such as gorgonzola)
Crumbled bacon (optional)
Balsamic Vinaigrette (see recipe below)

Directions

1. Toss spinach in with salad greens.

2. Sprinkle salad with cheese and bacon

3. Slice chicken breast on a bias and place on top of the spinach.


Balsamic Vinaigrette ( makes 1 cup)

3/4 cups Olive Oil
1/4 cups Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

1. Mix balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.

2. Slowly add olive oil while mixing with a whisk or wooden spoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment