Now that I am on maternity leave I have some time to plan meals and make some yummy new dinners for my blog. I lately bough the book Skinny Italian by Teresa Giudice of The Real Housewives of New Jersey. I am actually not a huge fan of the show, but when I saw an episode where they were canning their own tomatoes for sauce, I got curious about her cooking and decided to buy the book from Amazon.com. It turned out to be a really good book, I'm glad I bought it. It has a lot of good recipes that don't use a lot of fat, just a few tablespoons of olive oil.
Last night I decided to try her Pork Chops Alla Salvia and Rosemary Potatoes recipes. Both turned out really good, but the potatoes were a huge hit. My husband and Nate both loved them and wanted seconds (which I didn't have), so next time I'll be making a bigger batch!
Pork Chops Alla Salvia
From Skinny Italian
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Four 8-ounce center-cut pork loin chops, on the bone (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup tomato or marinara sauce
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Sprinkle the pork with the salt, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the sage.
3. Add pork to skillet and cook, turning once until browned on both sides (about 2-3 minutes per side).
4. Add the tomato sauce and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon sage and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer until the pork is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes (depending on the thickness of the pork, the juices will run clear).
5. Serve hot with the sauce
From Skinny Italian
6-8 Red-skinned Potatoes, washed and unpeeled
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
or 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1. Pierce each potato a couple of times with a fork and place in a microwave-safe baking dish and cover with plastic wrap.
2. Microwave on High until the potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Carefully remove the plastic wrap (it will be very steamy), and allow the potatoes to cool. Cut potatoes into quarters when they are cool enough to handle.
4. Heat the oil and rosemary on Medium-High heat until the oil is hot
5. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally until crispy and golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Nate loves his pork chops and potatoes!!