Monday, September 28, 2009

Israeli Cous Cous

Photobucket

I became a fan of cous cous in college, before then I hadn’t had anything more exotic than white rice. Now, I love to experiment with different types of grains. I found these Israeli Cous Cous at Whole Foods and I am trying to figure out good ways to use them. This time, I used a rice pilaf recipe I had and adapted it to the cous cous.

It turned out good, I served it with grilled salmon and veggies. The texture was different, almost like a risotto or orzo. I will be trying out some different recipes with them in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.

Ingredients
1 1/3 cups Cous Cous
1 ¾ cups chicken stock
¼ cup slivered almonds
1 tbsp olive oil
Seasoning salt
Black pepper

Directions

1.Toast almonds in a saucepan on medium-low heat until slightly browned and fragrant. Remove from pan.

Photobucket

2.Add olive oil to the saucepan on medium heat

3.Add cous cous and toast for 5-7 minutes until slightly browned.

Photobucket

4.Add seasoned salt and black pepper and quickly combine.

5.Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.

6.Reduce heat to low and simmer 12-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment