Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Watermelon Cupcakes for Labor Day

I first saw these on Bella's Bistro and I knew I had to give them a try for Labor Day. We had a pool party at my parents house with my friends and their kids so I wanted to make something everyone would enjoy. These came out great! They were so cute and they tasted good too. I made my own icing (see recipe below) but I followed the same basic instructions. These are great for a summer party, I will definitely be making them again!

Photobucket

Ingredients
1 batch of your favorite vanilla cupcake mix (from scratch or a box)
1 batch of your favorite vanilla frosting (from scratch of a can)
Mini chocolate chips
Red food coloring
Green food coloring

Directions
Once your cupcake batter is made, add some red food dye and stir until it is the desired color.

Stir in some mini chocolate chips (I used probably about 1/2 cup) and fill cupcake tins 3/4 full.

Bake according to directions, allow to cool completely.

Stir some green food coloring into the frosting. Pipe it onto the cupcakes or frost with a knife.

Basic Cupcake Icing
•1 stick butter, softened
•1 lb box/bag 10x powdered sugar
•Milk (about ¼ - ½ cup)
•1 Tsp vanilla (optional, the icing is good with or without the vanilla flavor, you can use other flavors too)

Directions

1.Beat softened butter with about ¾ box powdered sugar (reserve some sugar) with hand mixer on LOW setting.

2.Add milk and flavoring (vanilla, lemon, etc) gradually until you reach a thick paste

3.Add more milk and/or sugar as needed to reach a spreadable icing consistency, use a knife to test thickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment